Monday, November 9, 2015

Meet the Maker- Blacknot Farm

  
Custom Screen door by Cindy
Cindy Johnson
Cindy Johnson owner of Blacknot Farm creates home decor, pottery, jewelry and beautiful one of a kind Art. Cindy has a gift of giving old furniture new life. As if that wasn't enough Blacknot Farm also has Vintage and Rustic Wedding Rentals. If you ever have the opportunity to visit Blacknot farm you will be in awe just as we were. Cindys ability to make everything around her beautiful is truly a gift. We at Makers Move Manitoba were lucky enough to shoot our Blog Launch at Blacknot and spend some time with Cindy. 
Kelly Allison Photography
 What is Blacknot Farm the Business?  I create home decor, pottery, jewelry and art. I dable in sewing and can use power tools to create and restore furniture. I also do some freelance graphic design.
Blacknot Farm was established as an outlet for my creative drive. I’m always learning a new skill or trying a new creative technique and bringing something new and meaningful into the world through hard effort. 

Why did you decide to start doing what you do?
I have always done what I do! Over the years my family and friends came to prefer my handmade gifts over purchased ones and started asking me to make them specific things. With their encouragement I started Blacknot Farm that would allow me to offer these things to others. I love creating and making things beautiful especially out of clay, wood and or fabric and natural things. When I see something I know I can make I feel a need to do so. At times images pop into my head and I can’t rest until I create what my minds eye sees. I love how my developed skills are transferable from one type of art to another.


Blacknot Farm Art

Blacknot Farm was the location
for Makers Move Manitoba
Photo Shoot for our Launch
Tell us about yourself? 
Even though I have an Education degree with a major in History and minor in Drama, I have been a Graphic Design teacher for almost 20 years because I got my first graphic design job at the age of fifteen and came into teaching with years of experience in the field. My history degree probably explains my love of antique and vintage things and my drama education has helped me create some great set designs for my school over the years. I do love teaching my students the language of design by showing them how the design basics work together to communicate a message. 
They always seem so surprised that the media has been talking to them with colour, line, typestyles and textures their whole lives. I enjoy opening their eyes to the possibilities. I was lucky enough a few years back to buy a rural property with mature trees and an old farm house. The yard is a beautiful and inspiring 14 acre park that needed tlc but is now flourishing. I learned a lot of construction techniques renovating my home myself and those skills are now useful creating more pretty things. I don’t have any solid plans for what I will do with all the land as there are so many possibilities.
Blacknot Wind Chime
Kelly Allison Photography

What is your favorite product to make?
I just love making, especially those things that I feel must be made. I can loose myself creating something new and beautiful. It’s peaceful and fulfilling.

Where part of Manitoba did you grow up in and what is your favorite thing about living in Manitoba?
I grew up in Garson Manitoba. It was and still is a beautiful little town just East of Winnipeg.
The extremes are my favorite part of living in Manitoba. It's all about balance. You can not appreciate the gorgeous green hot summers without experiencing the bitterly cold blue and white beautiful winters. I live in one of the most amazing places in the world.



What is Makers Move Manitoba?
Makers Move Manitoba was created by 2 proud Manitobans, Mandy Johnston and Brandy Sylvestre. We wanted to create a platform to showcase the MANY incredibly talented makers and shakers, located right here in our amazing Province while fostering a community of like-minded people who know the value and importance in shopping local and supporting small business.
     We are passionate about connecting local artisans, hand-makers, crafters, and farmers with each other as well as a new stream of local customers and admirers.
  In order to ensure that we do our best to spread the word of this fabulous community, we have developed a presence on both Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter; Please be sure to check them out and like and share them to help us continue to grow the community.

Fellow Creative Souls and Founders of Makers Move Manitoba


Want to be featured by Makers Move Manitoba?

We love nothing more then spreading the word about awesome local businesses! If you are a SELLER of some sort, whether it be a maker, a baker, a crafter, a painter, a farmer, an upcycler, a vintage curator, an antique dealer, etc etc etc.....we would love to hear about what you do, and we will tell you what we can do for you!

E-mail us at makersmovemanitoba@gmail.com and include the word BLOG in your subject line!


Photography by Kelly Allison Photography, photo's taken at Blacknot farm,logo by Pareair Custom Designs, word blocks by Jbirds & Sonshine, frame and chalkboard by Chalk It To Me, Brandy's boots by Northern Heart Designs, Mandy's scarf by Ashley Erika Designs, Mandy's earrings by Universal Abundance, Brandy's scarf by XOXO Knits, Brandy's earrings by Souvenir Handmade

Watch and SHARE our Promo video! 

No comments:

Post a Comment