Monday, October 19, 2015

Meet The Maker Monday - Sew Dandee


"Sew Dandee is a plethora of creations from the twisted mind of Andee Penner, handmade with love and a good dose of snark".


Sew Dandee on Etsy 

Sew Dandee was 1 of the 20 local businesses who lent us products to use in our BLOG LAUNCH photo-shoot in October. See more photo's from this shoot on our social media accounts.

Photography by Kelly Allison PhotographyMMM logo by Pareair Custom Designs, Card by Sew Dandee, dream catcher by Norther Hearts Designs, Manitoba shirt by Whistlepea, Louis Riel shirt by Sew Dandee, and bison shirt by Little Orchard Co.


Meet Andee Penner of Sew Dandee





I'm Sew Dandee and making is my thing. For the past twenty some years I've been delving, dabbling and peddling my handmade items ranging from reworked clothing to crocheted legwarmers, pinback buttons to recycled sweater mitts and as of late, silk screened kids wear and kitchen wear as well as my ever expanding line of snarky cards for all occasions. 












I'm a one woman show who had a shop in Osborne Village for eight years and as of last year left that crazy rent behind to work out of my home here in Winnipeg. You'll find me and my wares at a handful of local markets, in a handful of local shops and a few outside of our fine city as well as online in my Etsy shop. 

What part of Manitoba did you grow up in?
I was born and raised in the Wheat City! Brandon, Manitoba. I moved here to Winnipeg when I was 19, back to Brandon for a couple years in my early 20s and then back to Winnipeg when I was 24 so I've been here almost twenty years now.


Why did you decide to start doing what you do?
I've been a maker for as long as I can remember. My Mom is a self taught seamstress and made her own business from home at the tender age of 17 as a young wife, mother and all around amazing woman. There's no doubt that she was and still is the biggest inspiration for me as I always felt a pull towards having a creative based career in one way or another. It's always been in me in a very natural way so you could say making is in my blood. 

What is your favorite product to make?
Since I've scaled back the MANY mediums I've dabbled in to mostly now just silk screening, sewing cards and doing some random sewing projects and alterations here and there, I find I'm able to really enjoy each item I work on. But I'd have to say that my cards still make me giggle and really are a kind of therapy for me in a strange way. Coming up with a new phrase that I think is too ridiculous or 'out there' and then finding a customer who sees it and says, 'This card is PERFECT for..' warms my snarky heart to the core. That's when I really love what I do. Nothing beats making someone laugh.

Check out Sew Dandee on Facebook and Instagram. You can also view more products from Sew Dandee on Etsy.





Win this pair of Sew Dandee cards!  

Check out @makersmovemanitoba on facebook to enter to win!




What is Makers Move Manitoba?


Makers Move Manitoba was created by 2 proud Manitobans, Mandy Johnston and Brandy Sylvestre. 

We wanted to create a platform to showcase the MANY incredibly talented makers and shakers, located right here in our amazing Province while fostering a community of like-minded people who know the value and importance in shopping local and supporting small business.


We are passionate about connecting local artisans, hand-makers, crafters, and farmers with each other as well as a new stream of local customers and admirers.

In order to ensure that we do our best to spread the word of this fabulous community, we have developed a presence on both Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter; Please be sure to check them out and like and share them to help us continue to grow the community.





Fellow Creative Souls and Founders of Makers Move Manitoba


 





Want to be featured by Makers Move Manitoba?

We love nothing more then spreading the word about awesome local businesses!  If you are a SELLER of some sort, whether it be a maker, a baker, a crafter, a painter, a farmer, an upcycler, a vintage curator, an antique dealer, etc etc etc.....we would love to hear about what you do, and we will tell you what we can do for you!

E-mail us at makersmovemanitoba@gmail.com and include the word BLOG in your subject line!


Photography by Kelly Allison Photographyphoto's taken at Blacknot farm,logo by  Pareair Custom Designsword blocks by Jbirds & Sonshineframe and chalkboard by Chalk It To MeBrandy's boots by Northern Heart DesignsMandy's scarf by Ashley Erika DesignsMandy's earrings by Universal AbundanceBrandy's scarf by XOXO KnitsBrandy's earrings by Souvenir Handmade 


Watch and SHARE our promo video!


Video by Jeremy Morantz

No comments:

Post a Comment